Institute for Environmental Education

Home  FAQS   FAQs

  • Login

    already signed up online?    re-enter your portal here.



  • Signup

    IEE clients...    in order to preserve your registration history sign up here with your ID number.

    Student - IEE

    Company - IEE

    NEW clients...if you have never used our services before    sign up here with no obligation.

    Student - NEW

    Company - NEW

  • Shopping Cart


    There are 0 items in your shopping cart.

  • Style It

You've been inactive for a while. For your security, we'll automatically log you off in seconds unless you click "Stay Online" to continue.

OR you may click "Log Off" now if you're done.

Job Placement AssistanceLicensing Info

Job Placement Assistance

Due to the fact we provide training for many environmental, and occupational health and safety oriented companies, IEE maintains strong ties with business and industrial communities of northern New England.  These companies often use IEE to post openings in their organizations, because they know first-hand the high quality of training the Institute provides.

Job placement assistance is available only to students who are unemployed and pay for their own training courses.  We will let these student know of job openings that we are aware of in their field.  While every effort is made to assist qualified students with their job search, we cannot guarantee initial employment, rates of pay, or length of employment.

Students should be aware of the following limitations and standards in the environmental fields:

  • Most states require that participants be at least 18 years of age in order to work or be licensed in the environmental fields.
  • Participants who wish to attend abatement/worker courses should have at a minimum, grade seven reading and mathematics equivalency.
  • OSHA requires that employees pass an occupational medical examination (conducted by a licensed physician) to work in the environmental fields.   The medical exams may include (depending on the field) a chest x-ray, pulmonary function test, medical and work history, blood lead monitoring, and a general physical examination.
  • Workers should be prepared to wear a respirator and disposable protective clothing.   Environmental abatement activities are labor intensive and participants might work in a construction environment.  Consultants might find that work can be strenuous, although typically not as labor intensive as that for abatement workers.  Generally, being able to climb a ladder and lifting up to 50 pounds is necessary to work in the field.


Course participants may be eligible to apply for various state licensing or certification depending on applicable training obtained, college education, and/or field experience.  Massachusetts and New Hampshire specify requirements for all persons who work on asbestos and lead paint/deleading projects

IEE's knowledgeable staff can assist you to navigate through the many asbestos disciplines and the roles and responsibilities of each.  Please note that it is always the student's responsibility to contact the applicable state agency directly to verify that they meet state specific requirements for certification/licensing.

License/Certification MA Fees NH Fees
Asbestos Worker$75$50
Asbestos Supervisor$225$2000
Asbestos Contractor$2,050$1000/750
Asbestos Disposal Site WorkerN/A$50
Asbestos Disposal Site ContractorN/A$250
Asbestos Inspector$625$200
Asbestos Inspector/Management Planner$625$250
Asbestos Project Designer$625$200
Asbestos Project Monitor$625N/A
Deleader/Lead Abatement Worker$50$75
Deleader/Lead Abatement Supervisor$150$125
Deleader/Lead Abatement Contractor$575$300
Lead Safe Renovator Contractor$375EPA
Lead Inspector$325$100
Lead Risk Assessorincluded$250

FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Where do I find Information about the new RRP (Renovation, Repair & Painting Rule?

The EPA Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Rule is the most important federal lead regulation developed in the past 10 years.   The goal is to ensure the use of lead-safe work practices in homes and child-occupied facilities and may be extended to public and commercial buildings in the future.   The RRP Rule went into effect April 22, 2010; all renovators are required by law to attend and pass an eight-hour Certified Lead Renovator course before starting work in homes built prior to 1978.   Failure to complete this training may result in fines being imposed.   This course could also earn you up to 8 credits towards your new CSL Continuing Educational Credits requirements (must have been taken after Nov. 8, 2011)!   Earn your EPA Certification by attending one of our many scheduled EPA and Lead Safe Renovator Classes.

Click here for Comparison of EPA and DLS RRP Rule Requirements

For more info please go to: DELEADING vs. RRP WORK: What's the difference?

Where can I find Lead and Asbestos Licensing Application Forms for Massachusetts?

CLICK HERE for MA Lead Applications

CLICK HERE for MA Asbestos Applications

What are your hours?

IEE’s standard hours of operation are 7:00 am to 4:30 pm with class training hours from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm unless otherwise stated.

If we are working under a course contract, the training hours are stated on the agreement as agreed upon.

* In order to serve you better - Please call ahead (978) 658-5272, if you would like to purchase any of our products.

What forms of payment do you accept?

IEE accepts cash, company checks, money orders, bank checks, and credit cards. We do accept PO's from cities, towns and municipalities.

If several people from the same company attend, is there a discount?

If three or more people from the same company attend a class, IEE will provide a 10% discount.

What are your cancellation or rescheduling terms?

Nearly all training is on consecutive days. However, we realize unforeseen circumstances do arise; therefore we will work with the student or company to help make-up the missed class time. Sometimes it is necessary for the student to retake the course the next time it's offered, for which IEE doesn't require an additional cost.

Do you do respirator fit testing and what is the cost?

IEE"s does provide fit testing and it is $45. Please have your respirator information (brand and style) on-hand and call to confirm the testing equipment will be on-site and available the day you intend to come. You must have a medical clearance, be clean shaven and have not smoked for at least one hour before the test.

Where can I go and get my physical?

Regulations do require that employers shall ensure that employees are provided with medical examinations.   Click here for the required Reporting Physician Statement

IEE does not recommend or endorse any Occupational Medical Center. Below is a partial regional listing but you may also look in the yellow pages under Occupational Health.

AllOne Health Locations Concentra Medical Center Locations
600 West Cummings Park, Suite 3400
Woburn, MA 01801
Tel: 781-935-8581
66B Concord Street
Wilmington, MA 01887
Tel: 978-657-3826
The Summer Exchange Building
101 Arch Street, Suite 20
Boston, MA 02110
Tel: 617-357-4140
1 Harborside Drive
E. Boston, MA 02128
Tel: 617-568-6500
1000 Broadway, 2nd Floor
BI Bldg
Chelsea, MA 02150
Tel: 617-660-6360>
156 Harvey Road
Londonderry , NH 03053
Tel: 603-644-3330
190 North Main Street
Natick , MA 01760 -2057
Tel: 508-655-9766
14 Broad Street
Nashua , NH 03064
Tel: 603-889-2354

How much does a particular Massachusetts license cost?

    MA Deleader Contractor License - $575 per year
    MA Deleader Supervisor License - $150 per year
    MA Deleader Worker License - $50 per year

Which offices are open on which days for WALK-IN SERVICE ?

IEE strongly encourages you to carefully review your applicable license application (located separately on-line for Asbestos Applications and Lead Applications and also located in the back of your IEE Course Handout book) for the items you will need to submit with your application. These vary based upon your specific license but will include your initial and refresher original training certificates.

If applicable, the WALK-IN SERVICE schedule appears at the end of the application, and is posted below for your convenience. IEE strongly recommends you CALL the DLS office to discuss your specific situation before you show-up.

* Please note: DLS ONLY accepts Money Orders or Certified Bank Checks *

MONDAY - WALK IN SERVICE: 9am to 3pm  
19 Staniford Street, 2nd Floor, Boston, MA 02114 617-626-6960

165 Liberty Street, Springfield, MA 01102 413-781-2676

4 Summer Street, Room 212, Haverhill, MA 01830 978-372-9797

9am to 3pm  
1213 Purchase Street, New Bedford, MA 02740
[Enter thru Maxfield St.] 508-984-7718

9am to 3pm  
167 Lyman Street, Westborough, MA 01581 508-616-0461

NOTE: Not all license / certifications are available on a WALK-IN basis, please carefully review your license application and/or call the DLS office to discuss your specific needs.

Click here for Asbestos Applications
Click here for Lead Applications

What is the Lead Paint- Owner/Agent process? How long does it take for me to get my exam from the state and how long is the turnaround from the state? When will I be able to do the work?

Once you take the Owner/Agent course, IEE will fax your name to the state; they will send you an exam; you complete the exam and mail it back; they will then send you an approval number allowing you to do the work.

A typical time frame is about two weeks but that is significantly determined by how promptly the student returns the exam. If you are under order we will try to assist you in expediting the process.

Are you close to public transportation?

IEE is fairly close to the MBTA Commuter train's Haverhill line (purple) - Wilmington station. Be aware that you would have to take a taxi from the train station to our facility. Depending on the time and direction you are traveling, either the Reading or North Wilmington stations often have more frequent service though slightly longer taxi rides.

Click here to view Haverhill line

I lost my certificate, can I get a copy?

Yes, however, for administrative purposes, we do charge $10 for a copy and $25 for a new original.